Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, November 24, 2014

Life is Like a Day at the Beach . . .

Familia!

Que tal :)

Sounds like you guys had a great weak! Doesn’t sound like much has changed back in Alpine!

This week was great here in the desert of the world. I don’t think there are any trees here.  If I see anything green, I’m happy. I miss the mountains and the trees in Alpine. We sure are blessed. PLEASE SEND ME PICS OF THE SNOW.

Last week we went to this beach called Capullanas. It was BEAUTIFUL and we had so much fun. We repelled down rocks, such an adrenaline rush. I needed that! We also got to see some flamingos on the beach - not something you see every day.

Last Monday, we also got to help the Peña family set up their Christmas tree. It looks horrible.. but hey we had a good time doing it. :) They’ve been like a family to me since I’ve been here!
On Tuesday, Elder Martinez was sick so we didn’t go out until the evening. Sooo I studied. A lot. From 8 am until 6 pm. It was a long day... :)  While we were out, this lady tried to convince us that Jesus was black. haha we weren’t buying it....

On Thursday, we went to Piura again. We had the same schedule as last time. We slept in the zone leaders room again... 4 people on 2 mattresses . . .  another LONG night. We woke up at 3:30, ect. The meeting was great, it was only for the "newbies". We basically just talked about obedience and the life of a missionary. 6 and a half hours long!!! from 8 30 until 3. Coming back we were starving so we got some food.... off the street. NEVER. AGAIN. 

Which brings me to the next section of the crazy food of the week dadadadadda COW HEART! We also ate mackeral (fish with face again) and sardines. 

When we got back to our pench, we realized it was darker than usual. haha We didn’t have any power in the city. It was great! It made the sunset and the stars SOO pretty. I felt like I was in the back of my truck up AF canyon again!

Before we went to our room, we went to our pensionistas house, and Hermana Veto was ever so kind to make us dinner. A candle light dinner. Haha!  It was great besides I felt like I was on a freakin date with my companion but we enjoyed it. 

We didn’t have any power in our room so it was pitch black so we put on some church music and it was actually pretty cool, I felt the spirit really strong. 

When we got to our room, we also realized we didn’t have any water.  We thought that was pretty funny.... it’s not........ I never thought not having water would be that bad. I’m surprised with how much water that I use, and how much I take it for granted. Humbled.  So it gets worse, keep in mind that I haven’t "washed" in 2 days because we´ve been in Piura so I was a little disappointed about that. We figured the water would turn on in the morning... it didn’t... we kept hoping.. but it didn’t. Luckily, we got some water on Sunday morning before church. But I’ll tell ya, not washing yourself for 4 or 5 days is a LONG time! I’ve never been more dirty, sweaty, sticky in my entire life. And our room smelled HORRIBLE because we didn’t have water and we couldn’t flush the toilet. I guess I’ll just let your mind imagine the smell after 4 or 5 days of 2 boys that got sick from a cow heart. 
Our power and water finally turned on Sunday morning, thankfully and we haven’t had any problems today either.

Sunday was a alright. Not a ton of people came to church.. only 2 investigators. I think we had 37 people so we’re hoping for next week. 

We also got to teach a lesson on Sunday to the Dioses family. ON THE BEACH! It was soo amazing... we were just kickin back, enjoyin the sand, the sound of the waves, and the SPIRIT!  They’re progressing great, we invited them to pray to God to know if this work was true... to be continued....

We´re teaching a ton of people. Less actives and investigators. We’re working SUPER hard every day. Blanca and Alonso are still on for their baptism on December 6th. They have their interviews this Friday so stay tuned. 

I’m getting somewhat use to the culture here, but it’s tough. I’ve been here for a month and I still feel culture shocked.  The food is.... well its food - just rice and bread. My favorite thing is a fried banana! ahh it’s so amazing. And of course, onions :)

Mi castellano es mejor cada dia. estoy trabajando super duro siempre y he aprendido mucho en esas cinco semana pasadas. Eentonces, les extraño. siempre estoy orando para ustedes. espero que ustedes tienen una buena semana! 
love you, miss you! 

- Elder Harris IV



No comments:

Post a Comment