Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, November 2, 2015

Pure and Clean


Family!

This week was great!  I  got the news on Saturday that I have transfers..... drum roll badadadadadaddadadada . . . .  I’m going to Puyango.  It’s about 6 hours away from Piura and the border city with Ecuador.  I’m going there and going to open an area. I’m pretty excited about the whole deal and I leave Wednesday morning.

Other than that, this week was full of great and spiritual experiences.

On Tuesday we got rejected for like 5 hours straight and it was stinkin hot and stinkin sandy and I opened my Book of Mormon that was in my hand and started reading in Alma 26. 26.  It was super simple but it was everything I needed to hear.  "We came to the desert to save our brethren".  My testimony of the Book of Mormon is growing stronger and stronger every day.

That night, we visited the Lloclla family.  They don’t have electricity so Maria lit a candle and we sat around her table with her family and read the Book of Mormon. The spirit was so strong, something I won’t forget.  Maria is an absolute TROOPER.  Single mom, 5 kids, no electricity, no running water, sand floor, her house is literally about to fall over, and STILL she a disciple of Christ.  My mind is blown by her example. Wow.



Wednesday we woke up early and traveled to that little villege, Chulucanas.  We helped la hermana Nancy build a house :)  The structure of the house was there we just put on her little tin roof and secured down the edges :)  It took a couple hours, but hey it turned out alright :)  Later in the day I went on exchanges with Elder Tuckett.  He’s from Freemont and just got her 5 weeks ago.  We had a good time :)




Friday we had a ward activity here in Tacala.  We watched Charly. . . .  oh my word, I cried about the whole movie. 

Saturday was the baptisms.... Maritza and Ana Troncos.  Elder Villalba and I traveled about 20 minutes across the city to my old area in Ignaciomerino.   When we got there, I saw Maritza and her face lit up like a firework :)  I could see the light of Christ in her and I just knew she was ready.  I remember putting on my white clothes and looking at myself in the mirror.  I felt my Fathers love.. like His arms were wrapped around me, and telling me that He was proud of me.   We took some pictures and then we were ready to start the program.  We started with the hymn "The spirit of God" and as we were singing,  I remember thinking of you and Dad  sitting by my side.  I knew that you guys were far, but you felt ever so close.  I remember feeling my Savior... with a big smile on His face. :) 






They turned the time over to us and as we exited the room, I gave her a smile and asked if she was ready... she told me she was more than ready :)  I helped her down into the font, tried to calm her nerves, and Elder Paredes opened the windows.  It was silent, and I remember staring at all the people present in the room.  I saw you, mom.  I saw my family... you were crying of course :)  I paused for a moment, and then repeated the baptismal prayer: habiendo sido comisionado por Jesucristo, yo te bautizo en el nombre del Padre, y del Hijo, y del Espiritu Santo. Amen.  Having been commissioned by Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.  She went down, and came up out of the water .... Pure.  Clean.   As she bore her testimony after, I started crying.   As she told the story of how I knocked on her door and she instantly recognized me as a servant of the Lord.  Mom, I feel the Savior working through me, and it’s the best feeling I’ve felt in my entire life. I would be willing to do this forever... I truly do love this work.

Thank you for everything...  I love you guys so much :)

-Elder Harris







No comments:

Post a Comment