Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, December 14, 2015

Christmas Party in Piura


Monday we played soccer and had chaufa, great.  Later in the night we visited a homie named Jair Socola. He’s 22 and should be getting baptized here pretty soon :) He opened up to us and told us that 3 close members of his family had recently passed away within the last like 6 months. He started crying, and I even shared my thoughts about Todd Miller that had just passed away. We made a connection and I told him that thanks to our Savior, this isn’t the end, that there is more to our purpose... I wish you could’ve seen his eyes, mom. Like there really is hope. 

Tuesday morning we left to Piura to have a Christmas party... oh my word it was so much fun. :) I was there with all my buddies, stress free, just enjoying the Christmas spirit. We played games (went undefeated in ping pong doubles with elder Hanvey if you were wondering) and watched a movie (It’s a wonderful life - super old, but heart warming. You gotta see it). 





We also had a little devotional and it was really special. President Rasmussen asked us if anyone wanted to share their testimony about Jesus Christ and you bet I was the first one to volunteer. I shared about a man we talked to on the bus that was from New York City (who knows why he is here in Piura?) that didn’t believe it God, nor Jesus Christ. A couple other missionaries and I talked about that it was almost like a hole was missing in this man.  I shared about how truly grateful I am for my Savior, and the knowledge and understanding that I have of Him. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about what I did in the premortal life to come here and become so blessed... who was I?   It talks a lot in my patriarchal blessing about the premortal life and I was always so confused but now that I’m growing up, I realize it more and more why it talks so much about that time. 

Am I doing and accomplishing what I promised God in the pre-mortal life? 

Wednesday I got my package! Oh my gosh, thank you mom! I love you so much. :)  I haven’t opened the presents yet because I think we’re gonna wait till Christmas but all the other missionaries LOVE all the candy you sent me. So thank you for making it special for us :)



About 11 PM Wednesday night we get a knock on our door from a member. She was crying when she told us that her 20 year old nephew had just been in a gang fight in the street and couldn’t get up to go home.  We put some clothes on and walked outside to help him... it was such a sad scene... blood all over his face, broken foot, he was really beat up bad. We shared a little about God and how He can help.  He accepted our invitation to visit him in his house and I think tomorrow we’re gonna stop by for him.. only problem, his mom kicked him out of the house and he’s living on the street now. No bed, nothing. 20 years old. Wow. I saw a little bit of myself in him. Obviously not to that extreme, but I saw myself and who I was 2 or 3 years ago. A littlelost. It’s amazing how much I’ve changed from that time, to the beginning of my mission, to NOW. Huge jumps. 

Thursday I had a work visit with Elder Pajuelo. He’s pretty shy but we had a good time. 

Friday we visited a sister named Consuelo Tinoco. It was a first lesson and we asked her why she let us enter in her house? (CCE) She told us that she usually doesn’t let people in because she’s a very closed off person... but she saw something in us. A light in our eyes that she couldn’t reject. It’s amazing that people here that don’t even know us recognize us as representatives of Jesus Christ. I love being a missionary :) Another cool experience is we were visiting a teenager named Luis. He’s a less active member but a baller. He told us that ever since we’ve been visiting him these last 3 weeks that he’s becoming a happier person.  He wants to be around his family, he doesn’t have a desire to be bad anymore he told us... THE GOSPEL CHANGES LIVES HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT!?!?!?!

Saturday we helped the Visitacion family. hahaha get this, I was in this tree chopping branches and all of a sudden I hit a huge bees nest AND THEY WENT WILD!! They were swarming me and it freaked me out and I straight jumped out of like a 15 foot tree and started to run.  I got stung like 4 times on my face and a couple times on my arm... it was terrible. :) haha   To be honest, I think I might be a little allergic because the stings are still swollen up and they’re HOT. Haha  The worst part is one of them stung me on the nose and so my nose is HUGE and I’m super self-conscious right now btw.... :) 


Later in the night we had a baptism party yay yay yay haha! Like 7 people in the stake got baptized and everyone was really happy. :) 



Sunday was normal. There was no power in the whole city and so the microphone didn’t work, nor the fans and it was just really hard to concentrate. Especially because it was the primary program and those little kids just don’t have strong enough voices. It was cute though :)

We had a great week... :) I feel like I only told like a quarter of it, but I’ve already written a novel and I’ve got other girlfriends that I need to write. 

Thanks for sending pics.. love you mom :)
-Elder Harris



No comments:

Post a Comment