Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, May 16, 2016

Translating for American Doctors


This week in Peru was great :) 

Elder Arrington and I are coming up with some great new ideas for the work here and we are excited to put them in progress.  An idea we had is to put up conversion stories of all the members in the church so when other members, and investigators walk in, they can read about how the members were converted to the gospel! :)  We've also started to make goals with the members, and to be honest, there’s a difference in the branch. :)  The attitude and love has grown... A LOT since the first day I got here.

We found a new investigator last week named Rubelia... she is amazing!  Definitely a gift from God.  She’s a nurse and accepted a baptismal date for 18 of June.  Later that night, we had an activity for the members. We bought roses for all the mothers and we had all the husbands and kids stand up and say what they loved about their mothers and give them a hug and a rose.  It was really cute, and the mothers LOVED IT! Haha!  A lot of tears.... soo sensitive. Geez.

I told you about last Sunday how we went to Morropon for church. It was a small family group of 14 people crammed into a tiny house with a cement floor and plastic chairs.  It was super hot but the spirit was the same. :)  We only met for 1 hour which was super strange...........



Last Monday we went to Morropon again to the waterfall.  Our whole district went and we had a real good time. :)  We had a family home evening with a Claudio and Micaela who are active members in the church. In our opinion, it was super effective. We invited all of their neighbors and they were super excited to participate. We had like 15 people there in the same lesson. :)




On Tuesday I’m pretty sure we shot the moon. Haha! Literally everything fell through, but as we were walking down the street, we see 2 white girls walking so we stop to talk to them and ask them where they are from. "Sweden" they respond.  My first question was, "what in the world are 2 chicks from Sweden doing in Peru?"  Anyways, they were super cool and their English was really good.  As we were talking to them, 2 American doctors from Washington DC get out and start talking to us. It was like a huge foreigner party! Haha!  I guess they needed our help to translate for them because they didn’t speak Spanish... SOOOO



On Thursday we go and help these eye doctors translate and it was super fun! :)   I also got talking to one of the nurses guess what?? Her name was Jennifer! I asked her if she believed in God and she told me no, but was jealous of the people that believed in God.  She just had never felt anything before.  I started explaining to her the restoration and the spirit was so powerful... I truly believe that God sent us there to find that woman.  It’s strange how God works sometimes, right? :) 

One day we were walking down the street when my companion and I had an impression to visit a special sister.  We dropped what we were doing and we went to visit her. She let us in and informed us that was not doing very well.  She told us she was tired of life and that she was going to take poison to end her life.  She explained to us that she was about to do it, until we knocked on her door.  We explained to her that God had sent us, and we took the poison away from her. Miracle.

In my personal study, I read Enos 1: 26 - 27 and instantly a member popped into my head so that same day we went to his house to share it with him. His name is Jairo and he’s a returned missionary of 5 years. He explained to us that he was tired of going to church and he didn’t feel the spirit in his life.  I told him about the scripture and that his name popped into my mind and that I had the impression to share it with him.  As he read it, tears started streaming from his eyes, and even from my own eyes.  It was a powerful moment and we invited him to repent and get back on the straight and narrow path. 

We invited this homeless man to eat soup with us.  Haha!  It was really fun! :)



Sunday we gave talks in church, again... :) I talked about the priesthood and that we need to be ready at every moment when we are called to use it.  My companion talked about the Book of Mormon and it was a super powerful meeting.  I told the story of when dad fell out of the boat when we were river rafting and his leg was cut open. I told about the priesthood blessing he was given and the bleeding stopped until he got to the hospital.  The members loved it! haha !:) It’s amazing how many stories I share about you guys... you truly have been amazing examples to me. :) I love you guys so much :)

My companion and I also sang in church! Haha! Yeah maybe that wasn’t the best idea… but we sang "Come Thou Fount" in English and Spanish and it was fun. :) 

Sunday night a member called us saying that his friend needed a blessing.  We went over to the lady’s house and she literally has a hole in her foot the size of a golfball!  It was crazy! Her name was Maria Sandoval and we were able to give her a Priesthood blessing. As we were leaving, the way she shook our hands spoke for her.. she kept repeating over and over again with tears in her eyes "thank you, thank you".  We just smiled :) She will be healed.

It was a great week :)

I love you guys, see you soon!

-Elder Harris










No comments:

Post a Comment