Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, June 20, 2016

The Story of a Peruvian Ambulance


Hey family!

This week was great, last week we went to Catacaos the artisian capital of the mission... it took about an hour to get there from Chulucanas but it was definitely worth it.  :)

When we came back, we had a lesson with the branch president’s son. He’s a 28 year old returned missionary, and has been less active for awhile… sometimes it blows my mind how these RMs come back and go inactive after their missions.  We gave it to him pretty hard, but it was a really awesome lesson. As we were finishing up, he says "I know why God sent you here today... I feel like I’m ready to start again" and he actually went to church yesterday in Piura!!  Then we ate some huancabamba cheese and bread.... :) yayy...............

I can’t remember if I told you about our awesome idea last week how we chose a street and gave all of them Books of Mormon and 3 Nephi 11 to read?  We´ve been going back to see all of them almost every day and 8 of the 11 people ARE READING!! It was such an easy and fast way to find investigators that actually want to know the truth. We´re super happy with our results and we plan on doing it again this week to another street.  :)


Ohhhhh  yeahh crazy story this week... we get a call from the sisters saying that a member needs a blessing so we go over there and walk into this lady’s tiny stick house. She’s on her bed like dying... apparently her gall bladder was about to explode but they didn’t have the money to pay for the operation.  We gave her a blessing, and it was amazing... all the chaos in the room turned to peace, and everyone knew that it was just gonna be okay... as we were deciding what to do, she calls me over, motions me to sit, and says, "read me something".  I grab the Book of Mormon and I start reading it to her, in a quiet voice, just so the two of us can hear... I bore my testimony to her that I knew that everything was gonna be okay because she was following God. Tears ran from her eyes, right when these guys walked in with a pick up truck.  My companion and I wrap her in a bed sheet and haul her outside and put her in the bed of the truck. My companion is holding the IV up and I’m trying to stabilize her as much as I can so that she doesn’t feel all of the dirt road bumps. We arrive at the hospital and put her on a stretcher to get her into the emergency room. Everything turned out alright and the operation was successful... pretty crazy though, right? :)

We traveled to La Matanza to translate for some American doctors that didn’t speak Spanish. It was pretty fun and hey, we even found some Mormons from Ogden! Small world! We were literally with them all day, from 7:30 am until 7:30 pm. I learned a lot from them, it was amazing to me that they even worried for this 94 year old man that literally looked like he was gonna die on the spot.  I thought of it like Christ... it doesn’t matter who, or what we are, He will always love us. 



Yesterday in church I had the opportunity to give a talk. I talked about temples, and I even shared the experience of the first time I entered into the celestial room.  We were in God’s home, dressed in white, with my parents, my brother, my sister in law, my aunts and uncles, my grandparents.. everyone was there.  I told them it was one of the happiest moments I’ve ever had in my entire life. We are a family, on the road to becoming an eternal family.

I love you guys, thanks for everything, see you in a couple weeks...

Say hi to Jackson for me! :)


-Elder Harris 




No comments:

Post a Comment