Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, May 4, 2015

A Covenant with God


Family!

Well as you know, this week we had a baptism. :)   Her name is Michel  and it was a day that I will never forget.  The significance of helping someone make an everlasting covenant with God is truly something special.

We started the program at 10:00 in the morning but of course we’re talking about Peruvians so we didn’t actually start until 11.  While I was putting on my white clothes, I had a super cool experience.  I was alone in the bathroom getting mentally prepared for what was about to happen and I was looking at myself in the mirror.  I felt a peace and the love of God more powerfully than any other time in my life.. I felt Him tell me that he was proud of me. 

We started the program and a couple of my missionary buddies showed up to support us.  We sang a musical number, "When I am Baptized", the best part was that we sang in English! Haha!  After we heard a couple talks and we were ready for the baptism.

I walked in the bathroom, washed my hands, said a quick prayer, took a deep breath and took my first step into the baptismal font.  I helped Hermana Michel down and as we were standing there together..  I could just feel that she trusted me.  I asked her if she was ready, put my arm to the square and said "habiendo sido comisionado por Jesus Cristo, yo te bautizo en el nombre del Padre, y del Hijo, y del Espiritu Santo. Amen"  

Sadly, the first time, her dress came up out of the water... her dress was HUGE!  So I did it again... and again, her dress came up.   I was standing there a little clueless what to do next, so I took my tie off, wrapped it around her legs so the dress wouldn’t come up. Haha!

Once it was wrapped, I took another deep breath, put my arm to the square, looked into the crowd and it was crazy... almost as if time had stopped.  I saw you guys.. my family, standing on the back wall. You guys were smiling at me, and mom, well you were crying :)  I saw Elder Soto with a big smile on his face.  Again, put my arm to a square, said amen, and baptized Michel as a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. 

I’ll never forget her face coming out of the water.. realizing that all of her sins had been washed away.  The feelings of peace and joy were indescribable - my love for her and her family.  I wish you guys could have been there to hear her bear her testimony after the baptism.  She was so happy, mom :) 




Sunday she was confirmed a member of the church and given the Holy Ghost.  The Bishop helped us out on that one.  It truly was one of the most powerful weekends of my life.. never have I felt the spirit so strong, for so long. I just wish you guys could have been here to see it :) 

As for the rest of my week, always great :)  Last Monday was great. Michel has like 4 little siblings and they LOVE the Liahonas from the church so we dropped off a huge back full of them.. oh my word it was like Christmas.  You should have  seen them mom!







Tuesday I went to Cerro Mocho with Elder Spencer.  During the night, we walked like 40 minutes into the boonies, ended up finding this family of investigators that they have, and had a great lesson with them. The best part was there was like 11 of them!  Just picture 2 gringos sitting in a circle talking about God to this huge family of Peruvians. Haha! 

Wednesday.. well one of the members we have got sick with a bad stomach infection and so he was in the hospital.  Not only does he have a stomach infection, but also a hernia, AND A LEGIT HOLE IN HIS FOOT. Not kidding. So we gave him a blessing and turns out he’s doing a lot better!  He even attended church yesterday.  :)

That’s about it for me.  A great week.  I’m never going forget it.

love ya! miss ya!

saludos a la famila

- Elder Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment