Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, July 13, 2015

How Grateful I am for the Plan of Salvation

Okay so this week was dope.

Monday we spent our p day in "el mercado"? To be honest, I have no idea what it is in English.. I know the word is super similar but I just can’t put my finger on it... it’s like the HUGE place they sell everything? Anyways, it was fun :) Next time we go, I’ll have to take a picture because it truly is like nothing I’ve ever seen. You guys would like it:)

Tuesday we had a "meet the Rasmussens" zone meeting...  Hermana Rasmussen baked cookies and I about died... home made, SOFT cookies.  
As President Rasmussen was talking, he said something I liked a lot. He said "your time as a missionary is going end real quickly.. Enjoy it."  So hearing about Ryan Devitt and Corbin coming home really hit me that its going come to an end real fast.  So just wanted to let you all know... I;m enjoying it :)

Thursday was straight nuts... so get this. We get a call about 10:45 PM saying that the sisters in our district aren’t in their room.  There’s another pair of sister missionaries that live next door to them and they were the ones that called us.  They told us that they had been banging and screaming on the door for the last 30 minutes and they weren’t there.   We got a little worried and we called President Rasmussen.  Around 11:15, Pres Rasmussen gave us permission to leave our room and start looking for them so we put all of our clothes back on and start walking down the streets looking for them.  We checked in members houses, investigators houses, and we could not find them ANYWHERE. We decide to go back to their room and see if we can find more investigators through their area book... and by this time, not kidding, the whole ward is looking for them.   We get to their room, and sure enough, there they are.  Safe and sound.  We were super happy to see they were okay, but oh man were they embarrassed.  Haha.   It was quite the adventure :)

We also had a lesson with Oscar and he’s getting super excited about his baptism. He told us that yes or yes he’s going to get baptized, but he’s having some problems with the commitments.  His dad gave us a little bit of a burning but don’t worry, he´ll change :) I have faith :) I don’t even know why he cares - I mean his son Oscar is like 30? ha.

Friday was tough.. Our ward mission leader Daniel, his baby died. I don’t know how old he was but his lungs collapsed. We went over to his house Friday night and they had the casket open of the baby. To be honest, it was hard to see, but as I looked up, I saw a picture of Jesus Christ.  He was in the heavens with his arms opened wide, almost as if he was receiving this little baby into his arms and into his kingdom.  It gave me hope. How grateful that I am that I have this knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the Plan of Salvation.  

Saturday night, the bishop called and informed me that I was to give a talk in church because Daniel (mission leader) wasn’t going to be able to attend.  I whipped something up case, ya know that’s what missionaries do.

Anyways, Sunday rolled around and it was just a terrible situation. Right as its about my turn to speak, this drunk walks in the church and starts to cause all sorts of problems in the foyer... so they ask my companion and I to help and get him out.  So as we are downstairs, like 3 members come running down saying “Elder Harris, you’re up!” haha!  I run up the stairs, grab my scriptures, and walk to the pulpit. haha :) The talk turned out great.. I shared the story when Jesus Christ turns to Peter and asks him 3 times, Peter, do you love me? Do you love me more than these fish?  More than your work? More than your family? More than the TV, or your cellphone?  If Jesus Christ was to walk in the door right now and say, I need you members to drop everything you have right now, and follow me to "Argentina"... would we do it? 

Anyways, it’s a little hard to explain but the spirit helped me out :)  As we got to the second hour, gospel principles, our mission leader is also in charge of that so because he wasn’t there.... well... that fell on our heads. Elder Nosa and I decided that we would teach it together so he opens the meeting with a prayer and then he was like, and now Elder Harris is going give the lesson and just sat down.  I was like yeah okay, flipped open to what lesson we were on (Fasting) and just went for it :) haha.. turned out fine.. the other missionaries helped me out.

It was a great week.  A little crazy but I’m still having a great time :)

les amo les extraño. espero que tengan una buena semana!! :) nos vemos

- Elder Harris

PS - I totally forgot to tell you that I received the package you sent me! :) I was going wait and open it on my birthday... but then I stared at the box for like 5 minutes and I was like screw it and opened it :) haha. Thank you! For real, I was not expecting that Jazz hat... its SOO sick.  Even ask my companion, I’ve been wearing it every night when we get back to the room :) haha. I really liked the ties too.. I wore the yellow one you sent me and not kidding like 3 or 4 people were like hey Elder Harris I like that tie. I’m like oh geez thanks. And the candy, oh my word, American candy. The best thing in the world. You should see my companions face when he eats it. ha.


No comments:

Post a Comment