Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

A New President & New Missionaries


Family!

This week was great. Last Monday was a little slow because the National Peruvian Soccer Team was playing.....soo we didn’t have any lessons.  Not kidding, everyone was watching the game.  As we were walking back to our room, apparently Peru scored and not kidding the whole city shook because everyone was screaming GOALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!
crazy peruvians.

Tuesday morning we woke up early to pick up the new missionaries from the airport. They seem really cool, their Spanish could use a little help, but hey they’re happy to be here :)  The best part about the whole thing, WE GOT PIZZA! Not kidding I’m going to eat pizza every day when I get home, mom.  I really miss it.



Wednesday President Rowley invited us over for root beer floats.  Oh my word, I about died. Elder Yujra and I spent most of the day in downtown Piura, I love walking around in my white shirt and tie.. haha the people think I’m important or something.

Around 7 PM, we went to the airport to pick up President and Hermana Rasmussen. Ahh they were so excited and happy to be here :)  I´ve had the opportunity to get to know them a little better over the past couple days and they truly are amazing.  President Rasmussen has power. I can see the light and goodness in his eyes.  To be honest, I’m really, really happy that he’s my new mission president. I already love him.  Hermana Rasmussen is THE BOMB. Not kidding, she’s hilarious. So happy, and friendly. I love her personality.  




Thursday morning we said our goodbyes to President and Hermana Rowley.  It was bittersweet.  They gave us all a big hug with tears running down their cheeks, and then they were off.  I even got a little emotional -not like crying, because I’m a man of course, but just a little teary eyed. I truly am going to miss them though. They taught me so much about who I want to be.  President Rowley was a huge example. He is a true disciple of Christ.  Humble, meek, loving, giving, strong.  He has the spirit with him, I can see the light in him.  Hermana Rowley was amazing. One of the most loving people I’ve ever met, she really was amazing.  She always wanted the best for everyone.

Friday was chill. I felt like it was a little break from everything.  I remember telling my companion how happy I was that we could sleep in until 6 30 haha!   We’ve been waking up at like 5 or 5:30 almost every day this week.   Anyways, not much happened but we got free sloppy joes and who doesn’t like free American food? 




Saturday was the 4th of July and I was really wishing I was home. It’s one of my favorite holidays AND I MISSED IT. Haha! Nah its cool.. sounds like you guys had fun though? :) We had a great zone meeting... we talked about how obedience changes missionaries and it got me thinking about how much I’ve changed in the past 10 months. I’m sure you guys wouldn’t even recognize me :)  I remember telling myself before the mission that I would not return home the same person that I was when I left... and to be honest, I don’t think that Ii am. I have a lot more to go, but the obedience is changing me.
I love the mission... I go to sleep every night exhausted, but happy. I wake up every morning tired as ever, but happy and I think that’s all that really matters.. I’m happy where I am, and so grateful for this time I have to be here in Piura. I love you guys, and hope you have a great week :)


Chao!

-Elder Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment