Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, August 31, 2015

An Apostle of Christ


Familia :)

Hey this week was great.  I’m sorry that I say that every week, but it’s true. :)

Monday we went to a little city outside of Piura called Tambogrande.  We got bunched up in the back of a "truck".  I’m pretty sure it was meant to haul cows.  Anyways, we went to this river and just hung out for the day.  We jumped some rocks and had a good time :)




Tuesday we found this new family.  Jean and Roxmery ( that’s not how they spell their names, but to be honest the names here are so stinking weird I just kinda guess and put it to the closest American name I can find. :) Anyways, they were super receptive and we actually have an appointment with them tonight so I’ll let ya know.   Later in the night, Franchesca invited us for some aguadito and who doesn’t love aguadito? Although she puts way TOO MANY chicken feet in it and to be honest, NOT A FAN.

Wednesday I was pretty stressed out with all the work we’ve been doing and so I just decided to drop everything and read the scriptures.  I read a specific chapter in Matthew and it really touched me.  I remember having this feeling of being "whole".  That’s what the scriptures do to us, they heal us.  They fill us.

Thursday I feel like I learned an important lesson. Throughout my whole mission I was always so discouraged when we would teach a lesson and the people wouldn’t accept it.  I have always thought  “what did I do wrong?", "did I not teach it well enough?", or " did I not have the spirit with me strong enough?"  But I learned that one can speak with all the power in the world, but people still have their agency to accept the message or not.

Anyways later that night we found a "Preacher".  Oh my word that was a handful.  We basically sat in her house for like 45 minutes TRYING to escape and she just talks and talks and talks.  We finally found an opening when she took a breath and we bursted in "hey we gotta go".   She decided to offer the last prayer and of course we were happy to let her do it.  She continued to get on her hands and knees, played some sad music from her phone, and started crying/praying.  It lasted a while, and after the first 10 minutes I grew quite uncomfortable.  Especially cause the door was open and a lot of people were walking by......

Friday, Elder Bednar.  Wow... He truly is an apostle of Christ.  He is not like us.  Never in my life have I seen such a strong, pure countenance.  As he walked in the chapel, everything went silent and everyone stood up in respect.  His teachings were remarkable.  I wish you could have seen him, Mom.  The way he taught was unlike anything I’ve ever seen or heard.  I really learned a lot about myself and my purpose as a person and as a missionary.  An impression came to me that I wrote in my journal, "Your purpose is to lighten burdens.  You´ve always known."  From that moment, I have been busting my butt trying to help, and serve, and do everything I can for anyone.  I learned that we must ACT IN FAITH, and then whatever we desire, will be given to us.  I’ve noticed it.
David A. Bednar is an apostle of God, and I will always stand as a witness of that.  I don’t think I’ll ever forget that experience.




Saturday we found 2 new families to teach!  The Lord truly is blessing us.

Sunday was great... I love the ward, and everyone in it.  They treat me like family.  Things are really good here, Mom.  I’m definitely going to be sad to leave this area.  I can’t believe I’ve been with my companion, Elder Nosa, for almost 4 months now.  But hey, were still going strong. :)

I hope you guys have a great week... love you and miss you!

-Elder Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment