Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Conference


This week was... good. :) haha.  The first couple days I was pretty stressed with everything going on here and I just couldn’t shake out of it.  Usually when I’m stressed, we just go out and work hard and I snap out but this week I just couldn’t. We worked, and worked and I just couldn’t get a grip on things.  I felt like I had been in this area for so long and I haven’t had the success that I want to have.  

Anyways, on Thursday I was talking to a buddy of mine, Elder Guevara from Bolivia.  I was telling him about how I was feeling that he paused for a second... and asked me the simplest question.  Are you reading the Book of Mormon? I thought for a moment, stunned, realizing that I had been so focused on the Bible the last couple of days that I haven’t had time to read the Book of Mormon.  It’s amazing to me how much power comes from that book... my testimony of the Book of Mormon has been fortified and strengthened time and time again.  From countless experiences, I will be able to stand before the world and testify of the truthfulness of that book.  I know it’s true.

Conference was amazing.  I don’t know what you guys thought of it, but I loved it :) I felt a lot of the talks talked about "becoming".  Steady improvement, one step at a time.  I remember a quote that I absolutely loved. He  said to think about where you were, where you are now, and how much you will be.  Sometimes I feel like I get so discouraged because I want to have everyone’s strengths, but then I think back to 3 years ago, even 1 year ago, and think about how much I have "become".  Although I still have much more to go, I feel like I’m on the right path. 

A talk that was special to me was from Larry R Lawrence.  He invited everyone to go home, kneel down, and ask God "what is keeping me from prospering?"  I took that advice and I went home and asked God... I felt a small impression telling me that I needed to start by giving people more compliments.  To help people feel better about themselves and more comfortable.  I know its small, but every day I have been looking for opportunities to lift.  To include the missionaries that are maybe a little more shy :)

I remember last Sunday while my companion and I were doing our weekly planning, I thanked him for everything he has done for me.  He truly has brought a new energy and excitement to the area, and it has given me that extra strength that I needed.  He truly is a blessing to me.  I love his famous line, he says it at least 10 times a day "VAMOS A BAUTIZAR" (WERE GONNA BAPTIZE) AND "VAMOS A TENER ÉXITO" (WERE GONNA HAVE SUCCESS).

I also loved Jeffrey R Hollands talk about mothers.  I just wanted to say thank you.  :)  Sometimes I feel like I don’t thank you enough for all that you do and all that you’ve done for me. You truly are an angel to me, the best Mom I could have ever asked for. Thank you for everything.

Love you guys!! I miss you!

-Elder Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment