Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, February 8, 2016

MIRACLES



FAMILIA!

This week was amazing.

Last Monday we went to Catacaos aka the city of art.... I seriously love going there. Some of the stuff they have absolutely blows my mind. AND ITS CHEAP.

So last Sunday we saw a man on the street hauling dirt into his house to fill a hole so we offered to help him.... It turns out his name is Roberto and he’s a member of the church... he hasn’t come to church in 12 years.  Anyways, it was Sunday so we came back to help him on Tuesday morning. We started about 8 am and ended around 2 pm. I was exhausted when we ended and all I wanted to do was sleep, but nahhhhhhhh WE’RE MACHINES so we took a shower and went right back out to work.  We returned on Thursday to help some more and the best part is that he and his wife, Lesly, came to church this Sunday! First time in 12 years!! MIRACLE!



Wednesday - Hector. He’s a new investigator we found last week and last week we left him 2 Nephi 31 to read. As we came back, we asked him how it went and he says, "it talks about baptism"..... there was another long pause and he says "I believe it’s true".  The spirit hit like a rock and we invited him to be baptized.  He accepted the invitation for March 12th. MIRACLE.

We saw another miracle in Juan. The first visit we had with him, it was almost as if he didn’t want anything to do with us. My companion and I were debating if we should return or not, and we felt impressed that we should. Later Wednesday night we stopped by his house, and he was completely different.  He welcomed us with a smile, and let us in his house. He had a new light to him, a beam. We had an awesome lesson with him and told him that we would pick him up at 8 AM for church on Sunday.  We knocked on his door at 8:01 AM and he opened in all ready to walk out the door to go to church with his backpack and everything. He was on time which is UNHEARD OF here in Peru. Anyways, he reminds me a lot of dad... same personality. He’s got 8 kids too.... WOW.

Thursday, oh my gosh.  Thursday we cleaned the market in Catacaos. The worst part, my comp and I were assigned the FREAKING FISH MARKET!  Like HOW UNLUCKY CAN SOMEONE GET??? I cannot describe to you how GROSS a Peruvian fish market it is.... I about died.  A dead human being rotting for 3 months does not compare to the smell of that place. Anyways, our job was to clean up all the guts and blood that was on the floor. I’ll send pics. :) On the bright side, they gave us bread and tortillas. Haha! It’s super funny because they call a fried egg a tortilla here?



Friday we had the opportunity to dedicate a home for a family.  Apparently they’ve been having weird feelings in their house and it just didn’t feel right so they gave us a call so we could come and dedicate it.  They asked me if I would say the prayer and of course I was happy to do it :) The spirit was powerful.

Saturday night I saw one of the biggest miracles of my entire life.  There’s a man named Robasspier that is in our ward. He has a mission call to Bolivia and he’s leaving on Tuesday - tomorrow. Anyways, he and his mom didn’t have the money necessary to pay for the mission and they were almost thinking about rejecting his mission call. He wanted to serve a mission so bad that they ended up selling absolutely everything that they owned, just so that they would have enough money.  When everything was gone and sold, they were still lacking about 200 soles or 60 bucks. Saturday night we found him sitting on the corner of his house crying because he had worked so hard to make up the money and it just wasn’t enough. We helped him out as much as we could, and went to bed that night praying and fasting as hard as we could for him. The next day at church he comes up to us with the biggest smile on his face, and says "I’M GOING ON THE MISSION we got the money, and I’m leaving Tuesday!!!"



He was so happy, I wish you could have seen him. Sunday he bore his last testimony at church and it brought tears to my eyes.... he reminded me so much of me when I was starting my mission.... oh how I wish I could have 2 more years to be a missionary... 

It truly has been the best time of my life, I never want to come home.  (Well, just to see you guys for a minute then I’ll come back to Peru) :)

I love you guys, thanks for all the love and support.

-Elder Harris



No comments:

Post a Comment