Called to Serve in the Peru Piura Mission

Monday, March 23, 2015

Buckets of Rain

Family!

Hey!  What up?  This week was nuts.

So there’s this rumer going around in Bellavista that the purpose of the Mormon missionaries is to convert you into the church, then they kill you and take out your eyes... yeah, I don’t know how it got started.   More importantly, I don’t know how people actually believe that... but it’s spreading.

On Wednesday, about 7 PM it started to rain. Ahh we were so happy we were jumping around like little kids... but then it continued to rain... and rain... and rain... then it got a little scary. The ceiling started leaking, the walls like were becoming wet, and water was flooding our room.. we had NO IDEA what to do.  Luckily, I’ve had some experience of shoveling water out at home so we rolled up our sleeves and went to work.  We stayed up super and didn’t get much sleep that night... what made it even worse is that the water dripped all over my bed.  It continued to rain for the next 2 days and the streets were FILLED. I felt so bad for the people here... the majority of their houses have dirt floors and so when it rained, their floors got filled with water and now they’re like mud pits.  

Friday it stopped and it was HOT!  45 degrees celsius.  All the houses were filled with bugs, wet, and HUMID.  It was a long, hot week.  

As for the work here, it’s progressing.  Our investigator Michel has attended church the last 3 weeks in a row.  She’s only 17 and she needs the permission of her parents to be baptized and that’s kind of a problem.. she has a super strong desire to be baptized so were working with her parents now and we’ve been praying a ton for her and her family.  She shared her testimony with us this past week and oh my word, what an amazing experience.  It wasn’t the biggest in the world, but it sure was powerful.  We invited her to share it with her mom and guess what? She did! So her mom is gonna attend this Sunday. Well, were hoping.

As for me, I’m doing great.  I don’t think I’ve stopped smiling the whole time :) I’m just  loving it down here :)  Yesterday, I ate cow liver if you were wondering.. it tasted like cow poop. I wouldn’t recommend it.  OHHH get this, so last night we were planning... and there were these drunk guys just hanging out on the corner.  Then all of a sudden they just started this huge brawl... people were throwing punches, throwing rocks, beer bottles.. it was nuts.

As for my week, that’s about it.  We’re working hard.. Elder Soto and I are getting along great still... probably don’t have much time left.. transfers are in 2 weeks.

I hope you guys had a great week.... tell Ty happy birthday! And I hope everything goes well with the surgery this week.. I’ll be praying for you.  

Love you tons! Miss you guys!

- Elder Harris


No comments:

Post a Comment